Friday, February 04, 2022

Modem or router?

 Yesterday my internet provider called me, saying that my current service would no longer be available. Apparently I have 10 of something now, and in the future they will offer me 50 of the same something. I don't know why, since everything is working now, but hey, if they want to give me something better who am I to refuse?

But of course there was a catch. Three more francs per month. But being as I am, I asked very politely if it wasn't worth something (something for something?) that I have been a loyal customer for 13 years always paying my bills on time. After having conferred with her manager, I not only get two months free service (which amounts to almost three years with the same price) but also a free modem/router (am I supposed to know the difference?) if I return the old one.

At the ungodly time of 8.30 am this morning the modem/router was delivered. I was rudely woken up, had to go down to the entrance and sign for it, with my hair on end and in sleeping gear. Charming!

I was also asked if I have glass fiber installed. I do remember the street outside being dug up some five-six years ago for this purpose, but I had no clue if it was "installed" in my apartment. Having asked the other three in the house, they were all as clueless as me. It was only when I talked to one who previously lived in the house I realized that I do. We all do. Have glass fiber. It's some little gadget on the electricity switch board with a number on.

I love new technique, I use it daily, but I don't want to know why and how it works. It just should! So the next big challenge is to install the new modem/router when it's activated, which they said in a letter would be in five days. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

variotrade.ch said...

Hahahahahahaha, es bleibt spannend liebe Annika:-) Jetzt hat sie "Glassfaserntechnik" dann einen modeernen Modem... Und wenn die liebe Annika noch einen "frischen" Laptop oder PC (AllinOne HP, for example) braucht, dann kommt der Robert vorbei und verkauft ihr das nötige "KleinZeug), hihihi! variotrade.ch. Liebe Grüsse aus der Aargauer Provinz, Rob!