Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Monster building I

 In the beginning of last year, 2023, I heard that the rich guy who already owns some buildings on "my" street wanted to tear down two beautiful old buildings next to "my" house and put up a monster with 26 flats.

So instead of renovating and keeping the old buildings up to standard, he chose greed. This from a guy who inherited his wealth.

In March last year the renters were moving out after having been duly notified, and the two buildings have been empty since, except for some squatters.

An acquaintance of mine started a petition online and got 422 people to sign. We wanted the construction to stop and keep the green area, which are more rare by the minute in Zürich, despite what 'Grün Stadt Zürich' says on their website. When I was appointed to take over I got two emails from people who wanted to participate and do something. When I answered I never heard back. I guess it's easy to talk, less easy to do.

So the buildings were empty and the large gardens that were beautifully tended to started to look like a jungle.

However, I was still able to enjoy the greenery next door and I was hoping that the greedy guy would change his mind. Yes I know, I'm naive. And I do get it, people need a place to stay, but Switzerland, small as it is as a country, still has a lot of space. If it's as important as 'Grün Stadt Zürich' say to keep green areas in the city, why then not act accordingly?


No comments: