Thursday, March 03, 2016

A helluva lot of Swissies

Let's see if I get the numbers right. Last year around 30,000 immigrants were granted citizenship in Switzerland, two thirds of them had to go through the lengthy and costly process that I did, and one third had it a bit easier. At least processwize, since they were refugees. I imagine that they had the difficulties beforehand.

Today I was at at party arranged by the city of Zürich, in order to welcome the new Swissies. 2015 some 3,600 people were granted citizenship in Zürich, and 1,700 of them showed up for this evenings event.

We were greeted by the "Stadtpräsidentin" Corinne, who told us that we were over 100 nationalities, the majority being Germans of course, but also a few countries where there were only one person who made it through the process. Those countries were Barbados, Benin, Guinea-Bissau and I think Indonesia. And that she was happy that the initiative to throw out foreigners was not accepted in the last election. Big applause.

Then then were some music, and a new Swissie, an author, who had been to the party last year, who talked about why she came to love Switzerland and why it's important to vote. I agree.

After that not too lengthy session, about an hour, there was an apero with food and drinks. Very well organized in the congress hall, and I was lucky enough to go with my neighbour. She also became a Swissie last year. It was fun.

Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to any of the politicians, people were queueing up to get selfies or doublies or whatever they are called. But now that I'm a real Swissie, I can hold my head up high and get in contact through email, and they will have to listen to what I say :). Direct democracy, I love it!

No comments: