Sunday, December 14, 2008

In good faith

It has an element of stress when you bring new friends to meet old friends. People who have not met each other before. That was made very clear tonight. Especially with new friends who are not entirely fluent in German. New friend: "how old are you?" Old friend: "how old do you think I am?" (and I agree here that it's the wrong counter-question but still). New friend: "drei-und-neunzig". This to German people mean 93, when he meant to say 39. And he will for always be known as the guy you cannot take anywhere. Btw, I'm 32.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, I'm sure he meant to say drei-und-neunzig for the comedy factor - I guess this guy won't be forgotten in a hurry, nor will he get his numbers the wrong way again round very soon!

:o)

Anonymous said...

'in good faith'
thats one scary picture. who asks people how old they are the first time they meet them?
I made the exact same mistake regarding the price of a haircut, only realised how wrong I'd been when it was done and I had to pay, argh.

Witchbitch said...

It would be so much easier for everybody if ze Germans could say numbers in the order they come!

Anonymous said...

"in a good faith"


Ok, I agree german numbers are not that easy for non germans. However what about numbers in french?

E.g. 90 = quatre-vingt-dix = 4 x 20 + 10

Beside knowing the name of the number you also need to be good in math..... :-))

Ze German

Witchbitch said...

The Danish have a similar system as the French. Difficult people!

Anonymous said...

the swiss french are however much more practical, no maths in their numbers.
we used to have that complicated system in English too I believe i.e. 'four score and seven...'