Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Honest blue eyes

That's what I have. Only since I was about 15 and had to wear really awful glasses (oh gad the fashion in those days...I shrink just thinking about it!) I have slightly near-sighted blue eyes. After many years with contact lenses I decided not to take it anymore. Which is why I had an operation. Laser! Imagine that. Having a laser beam slicing your retina flat was not exactly a pleasant experience. It involved a cream that made me feel nothing at the time, and half an hour later scream in agony. Morphine didn't help much, and trust me, I tried. I DEMANDED. I begged. I cried for days. Mind you, not because of the pain, but the eye itself wouldn't stop rinning. And I walked around with sunglasses, which in Oslo (where I lived at the time) wasn't a cool thing to do at eleven in the evening. In a bar. They thought I was playing cool. Playing, huh? I was cool. But not because of the glasses. Anyway, where I wanted to get to with this posting was that I now have glasses only for long-distance purposes. Reading, blogging and looking people in the eye (from short-distance obviously) is fine. Only, I don't look so cool anymore browsing. Yes, it is about 9 years ago since the operation, but I'm thinking (almost seriously) to do it again. Only I remember the excruciating pain and I was hoping that age would reverse the nearsightedness. Doesn't old people need reading glasses? Guess the good news is I'm not old enough. Yet...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'honest blue eyes'
well maybe it wont be so bad. I think the technology has progressed a lot in the last years. I know several people who've had it done lately and said they had no pain at all, no dark glasses. I'm thinking about it too - but the idea that you need it again after 9 years is kinda off-putting (that and the idea of someone slicing something in my eye)

Witchbitch said...

Everybodys eyes are different, so no guarantee for 9 years. Might be longer, might be shorter.

Think it'll have to be worse before I operate again.