Monday, May 10, 2010

Diagnosis

After having pain in my arm for about 6 months I finally dragged my ass to the doctor. There was good news and bad news. Good news is I now know what it is. Calcium in my shoulder, meaning the bones are gnawing at each other without tendons and ligaments to protect. Friggin painful I tell you. Also good news is that there was nothing I did. Cause is not frivolous lifestyle, nor is it food- or drinkrelated. Not even age, even though I think that might have an influence. Who has ever heard of a 6-year-old with calcium in their shoulder? Bad news is that if the medicine I got to take for 10 days doesn't help, I will need cortisone injections. Surely that cannot be good. And if the cortisone doesn't help, I will need surgery. Hmmm. Not too happy with that. Had an x-ray where he pointed out two tiny spots where the calcium has chosen to have a party. Funny thing was that my left shoulder, which I do not have any problems with, had a malformation. Huh? Thinking back I suppose it could have come from the time when I was a youngster and had a fall when doing a loop in gymnastics. Should've known already then that sports are no good. Anyway, having a sonogram next week "to make sure the ligaments aren't about to pop". What!?! Is that an option? That sounds REALLY painful. Story to be cont'd...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but surely there must be a cause? if you dont know the cause how can you prevent it from happening again. how frustrating!

Witchbitch said...

There might be a cause, only science hasn't discovered it yet.

Not the first time I have a condition with unknown cause. Had pityriasis rosea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_rosea) once.

Anonymous said...

ah, but that just goes away so it doesnt matter.
and no offence to your doctor, but my experience says just 'cos a GP doesn't know a cause of something doesnt mean science doesnt. Ask 10 different doctors, you'll get 10 different answers....

Witchbitch said...

I googled it, and couldn't really find a cause but you're right about doctors. And so far the medicine I got hasn't helped one millimeter.