Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Never feel too secure

When I bought my boat I was a novice. It was an impulse buy, based on that I had been on a boat in New Zealand. Got a call from the ex (well, he wasn't an ex then) asking if I was interested in buying a boat from his fathers uncle or similar. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Anyway, I'm drifting (pun intended! Gad, I'm good at puns, aren't I?). So the other day when we were out on the lake it was quite streamy in the Limmat, and me having a tiny engine (the boat you idiot, not me!), I expected difficulties taking the boat out. Turned out to be no problem at all. Coming back however was difficult. Very, very difficult as it turned out. Me, confident having done this "thousands" of times, also having had a few drinks on the lake, not at all counting on the streams. Drifting at the speed of light (ok, but only slightly exaggerating...considering I have an engine with 8 horsepowers!) and had to reverse-go forward-reverse-go forward several times before I finally managed to navigate into my anchor place. Phewwww! Lotsa adrenaline going there I tell you, but I was happy to hear applause from the audience on the bridge! Not sure if it was outta pity or about me navigating elegantly. Not sure I want to know to be perfectly honest ;)

No comments: