Friday, August 26, 2011

Gute Fahrt!

Omg, what an experience today with the boat. Very glad I had support with me.

Got there fine on time, so far no problem. Then trying to tie the boat up, I nearly lost it to the lake. I really do not know how to do these knots properly. Good thing friend did.

Went in to register at the Lake police office, and of course got the old one. There were two hunks just sitting there. Obviously my short skirt helped fuck all. He was extremely unfriendly and most probably a member of SVP who hates foreigners.

He asked for my permit, and I gave it to him in a plastic folder. He said, "no, the permit". So I thought he meant my residence permit and not the boat permit. Turns out he wanted me to present him with the permit without the plastic folder! Then he asked for my "Abgas-Wartungsdokument". Had no idea what he meant, but I had it with me. Only it wasn't stamped! Three years ago I had the engine serviced and got a stamp. That stamp is valid until tomorrow. In April I had the engine serviced again, but didn't get a stamp. Had the invoice though, which was worth nothing according to SVP-member at the Lake police. He really was the most unfriendly person I've met since I signed the contract for my apartment.

So thought lots of bad words, when he all of a sudden came out from behind the counter and said that he'd like to check the boat out. Aha, and I thought he was gonna say that I would have to come back. With the stamp.

At this point I was pretty nervous, and didn't understand when he asked for the "Navigationsbeleuchtung". When I said I didn't understand, he repeated the word instead of just saying that he wanted to check the lights.

He poked around and asked for all the other stuff like floating cushions, anchor, red flag, horn and stuff. Things you are required to have. Everything was in order.

Back in the office he filled in a form, shook my hand and said "Gute Fahrt!". What? Turns out I don't have to come back, and I can drive another 3 months without the stamp. The relief! Now I don't have to go back there for 3 years. That's worth celebrating!

And when I emailed the company who did the engine service, they said to just stop by and they'll stamp my document.

All is well that ends well, but this was a nerve-racking morning!

No comments: