Saturday, October 10, 2015

I applaud promiscuity

Recently I saw a tv program about genealogy, where semi-famous people were looking for their roots. I have to admit I'm not too interested in this, except for the people I know or have heard of in my own family.

I mean, they were all looking for drama, for having a king or queen, or a murderer in their blood line, but who cares? I am what I am, and they are what they are, no changing that.

But it made me think of my own heritage. My grandmothers mother, who I vaguely remember, she must have died when I was very young, was born in the late 1800's. She got pregnant and gave birth to my grandmother when she was only 15, and unmarried. In those days it was not something you did and got a medal for.

But without her being "open" I wouldn't sit here today. So I applaud her. And she did get married to the father of the child later on. But that didn't stop my grandmother from doing the same thing :). Four children with three men! A lot of people have said I'm like her, except for the children of course. Good thing there weren't birth-controll pills in those days!

No comments: