Thursday, December 03, 2015

A German poet

I'm invited to a birthday party on Saturday. A biggie. An even number, and a dear friend of mine. So tonight I had a few glasses of wine, trying to write a poem in German. Trust me, it needs quite a few glasses.

It's not like she's not fluent in English, but being an almost Swiss, I think it's important to show that I can do it in her language.

Just to give you an example, try rhyming on "Schweizer", and all I could come up with was "Jägermeister". Which is something I'd never drink, but white wine didn't work with my rhyming skills.

But in the end, I think I got it. Well, I don't really know until I've given the speech. Which is another worry. Swiss people don't do speeches at parties. Ah well, maybe it's time they learn to deal with foreigners :)?

No comments: