Monday, February 01, 2010

Zug

Zug in German means train, but it's also the village in Switzerland where you pay the least taxes. Every management company will tell you that before you move to Switzerland. Mind you, at the same time you should know that housing is friggin expensive. So unless you earn like Ingvar Kamprad (IKEA) or the likes, you're better off in Zürich. Less travel for fun. But I gotta say, Zug being a village, the foreigners tend to meet up in the same places. The few there are. And it's fun. They all know each other and it's like a melting pot in a very small place. Tonight I met a countryman (who didn't want to appear in a pic, and would rather tend to his blackberry that speak with actual people!), a Scottish, an Aussie, a Japanese, an English, an American and Costa Rican. I don't think I spoke to a Swiss tonight. And I'm probably better off...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, I never really got the living in Zug for tax purposes argument for normal people, especially as the ones I know worked in Zurich. By the time you add up the travel costs and higher rents, not to mention the dullness of Zug, surely its not worth it?

Witchbitch said...

I certainly don't think so, but the people who live there seem to be very fond of the place.