Thursday, November 07, 2013

Masterchef

I have now watched several seasons of Masterchef, US, UK and Australia/NZ, and I'm happy to announce that my prejudices are true.

In the US version it's all drama, things repeated to hammer it in, beautifully presented food and flamboyant judges. Judges who are no strangers to shouting: "It's the worst I've ever seen!" or "What were you thinking mixing this and that"? And after being assholes to a contestant, voting him or her out, hugs the person saying "your heart is in the right place, keep on cooking".

The Australian/NZ version is in the middle. I like the food critic, 'cause he's imposing and scary, though a kitten inside. And it's still interesting. They give a background to the contestants, the food looks delish and the show is good enough to watch.

The UK version though is different. First of all, the people are uninteresting, the food looks like something I'd cook (not that I'm a bad cook, I just don't know much about presentation, much like the contestants), and the judges are boring. Exactly what I think English food is all about. And when somebody is eliminated they just leave. No parting words, no drama, no tears, no nothing. You gotta step it up Brits!

It's reassuring to know that clichés are clichés for a reason.

No comments: