Friday, June 27, 2014

265 g of bio-mayo

Ever since I started to enjoy these eggs delivered to me from a free-roaming farm, I have become a bit obsessed with where eggs come from. Not the chicken and the egg kinda enigma, but that eggs in products I buy are not from "Bodenhaltung", i.e. chicken that cannot roam free.

So I had a bit of a dilemma the other day when searching for mayonnnaise. I know, you can make it yourself, egg yolks, olive oil, whatsit, I've watched enough masterchef shows to know but that's not me. I do cook a fair bit of food myself, but I'm not stretching it to make my own mayo yet.

Anyway, turns out that all mayo's are made from "Bodenhaltung" eggs, except for the bio one. Hmm.

Generally I think that "bio" is put on the label to make it sound good, and to charge three times the price of not bio, but in this particular case I fell for it. Not that anybody would taste the difference.

And another thing, why is it 265 grams? Why not 250 or 300? To make it more difficult to compare to others?

Still not convinced about this bio shit, but I do care about the chicken. Definitely worth looking into.

No comments: