Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mini-Zürich

It was an interesting day today. We went to see Zürich in miniature. In the governmental body that handles Zürich building construction they have a model of Zürich. It contains all the existing buildings in brown, and all the ones that are in planning in white. The height difference in the city is displayed, and looking closely it is made of very thin wooden slices, cleverly laid out on each other.






The whole thing consists of squares, that we think can be moved around if another building is to be added in the middle. Unless they have child labour that can walk on the wood with tiny feet, but after a brief discussion we dismissed that option.

However, I can see a lot of improvement being made. Like a glass floor on top of the construction so that my house (or any other house for that matter) could be seen more closely from above (it was now in the middle), like better lighting, like trams and trains, like having the right colour on the houses and on the forest. I was told by my friend who happens to be in the building business that the forest was actually made by cucumber! Surprising. Dried cucumber but still. And it was brown, not green.

Anyway, this is definitely an underutilized tourist attraction!

PS. My house was about 5 cm. Still the best in Zürich if you ask me :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool, does sounds interesting. I don't know why, but I always loved mini 'worlds'. really, the forests are cucumbers?!

B

Witchbitch said...

That's what I was told. Didn't look like any cucumbers I have come across though. More like dry brown curly straw things.