Thursday, March 22, 2007

Za zwanzk

For all of you out there not familiar with Züri-dütch (meaning basically the whole worlds population, except for the odd Swiss living in Zürich:) this means 2.20. Yes I know, sounds more Polish or Russian than anything else. Was buying Ricola today. The old Ricola (not the new one in the bigger box, but my favourite one, the smaller softer ones). Started to count up coins to pay for it. Had given her around 2.50 and was still finding small change in my wallet when she said, "but this is enough" (but in Swiss German of course). She continued: "za zwanzk", like I was THE most stupid foreigner. Ok for foreigner, but stupid I am not. Turned the box around and showed her where a price tag said 2.80. "Oh", she said, "but that's wrong" and promptly ripped it off. Now I ask you, who's the stupid one here?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about if you would try to learn some words in Zueri-Duetsch....???? it;s not so "shwar"!

Witchbitch said...

No thanks, trying very hard to avoid that dialect :)

Anonymous said...

that waht you said about German. but you seem to have changed your tune on that one. perhaps its only a matter of time

Witchbitch said...

No I want to learn high German, I really do, but it's so hard sometimes. Switzedutch on the other hand I do NOT want to learn :)