Friday, February 22, 2008

Hiltl

Now I'm gonna teach you a word you won't find in Cambridge dictionary. Pretto. I've heard about it many times but tonight I had the questionable privilege of experiencing it. Pretto means pretentious+. This is it: http://www.hiltl.ch/ Not only is it vegetarian only and smoke-forbidden but the guys at the door walk around with ear-plugs ("yeah, this one looks like a babe, we should let her in", or "yes, I know we're not too busy but let's pretend we're important"). Yawn. Inside it's a normal place, and I have to admit the buffet wasn't bad, even though I apparently had tofu instead of chicken...honestly, who can tell after a few drinks? Which I finally got after ordering a Kir royal (hello? they didn't have a proper cocktail menu...and when I tried to order a strawberry daiquiri the waitress looked at me like I came from Mars). So to the point. Look at the name of the place. Pretto, get it? Avoid is my advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Hiltl'
really? I've been there a few times ages ago and it wasnt like that at all - well it was vegetarian and I think smoke free, but not pretentious, not for Zurich anyway. although it does say on the website that its all new since March 2007 so I guess it got wankified. There was (probably still is) one by the train station in Bern which was really good 'cos you could sit outside an see all the people go by.

Witchbitch said...

Well, the bar was ok. I later discovered that you could smoke there. Selection of drinks were vodka, vodka or vodka. And Cosmopolitan. Served in a kitchen glass...like I said, pretto.