Sunday, January 10, 2010

Travel? No thanks.

I am so happy that I was travelling a lot in the days when it was fun. Before 9/11 when first of all not too many people were travelling a lot, second that the security in airports were reasonable, and third when having access to the gold lounge still meant something. I remember the Copenhagen gold lounge where the staff (woman) was telling me how nice it was to see a business woman in the gold lounge. I thought nothing of it at the time, I just used to go into the smoking section, pour a glass of top red wine (except for if I was flying in the morning, wine in the morning doesn't taste good), bringing a plate of assorted snacks, and have a ciggie. Before I was flying off to another location to do whatever project I was assigned to at the time. And yes, as a business woman I was pretty much alone in doing that. It was me and 200 suits. Sad, isn't it? Nowadays it's a drag to fly. It's checking in 3 hours before the flight (as supposed to coming in about an hour before, checking in thru sliding your card thru a machine, go to the coffee shop for a caffeine hit, glide thru the passport and security before stepping onto the flight), being screened, having to take off your shoes and belt, and possibly being body-searched. Also, the aeroplanes are getting more "economic", meaning you squeeze more people into the same space. Unless you fly first or business of course, but who can privately afford to pay up to 5 times more than an economy ticket? Ryanair are planning to have flights with people standing up. How sad is that? Which is why I'm happy to stay in Zürich forever. I have no need to travel anymore. Done that, seen that, been there, didn't buy the t-shirt sorta thing. Truth be told, I don't even like to leave my fabulous flat. I love that I can stay in and just enjoy. Of course it helps to have neighbours who feel the same, and that we can party together, having just to roll up or down a flight of stairs to get home. Off to dinner with the neighbours now as a matter of fact, and with their permission I will take some photos.

No comments: