Monday, December 01, 2014

An enjoyable meeting

Had our yearly meeting in the building association today. As usual at my place, since I'm the only one with a free environment, free from spouses, free from kids, free from any disturbances. And with food always available. They are a grateful bunch, leaving nothing behind, and tonight, my cookies were going at a rate of...I should sell them and become rich!

Anyway, it's now our 5th or 6th time, still under debate, and we are almost always in agreement about everything. Mostly about how we can save more money. Today we agreed to ditch the roof cleaning company, who we were anyway not sure they were doing their job, and only one is bothered about it. Three of us never see the roof, so we don't care.

Further on, one of us (not me!) offered to do the gardening at half the price we are now paying. Excellent!

I have opted since years to get rid of the snow removal company, since 1. it is seldom snowing here in Zürich and 2. it cost a lot more than it is worth since it melts away quickly. I have been voted down though since it might present a risk when not removing it. Somebody might slip. Oh dear. It's like people think we live in America where they sue left, right and center. Think I shall keep on bringing it up every year, and wear them down.

We also agreed on a slight change to our building insurance.

And then of course we all joined in complaining about this lift-service, that is compulsory in Switzerland. Any building with a lift in it, needs to have the city come check on it every two months (for what reason?), and they charge a friggin fortune for it. I guess in an apartment building with lots of flats it's not a big issue, but in our house with four flats, it doesn't make sense to pay this enourmous amount of money to have a perfectly functioning lift checked. For what? I'm thinking to raise the issue, have 100,000 people sign a petition and get Zürich and Switzerland to have a vote for it. I would make a lot of people happy, and the few people who would lose their jobs, frankly I couldn't care less.

The last thing on the agenda was regarding the bomb room. In every house there needs to be a shelter in case there comes a war (don't get me going...). And in our shelter there was a ladder missing, and apparently it was important to make sure it was provided.

But I tell you one thing. In case there comes a war, and I had to share a shelter of 12 m2 with eight neighbours and three kids, I would be happy to join the opposing side.

No comments: