Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Candles

Today I did something I have never done before. Candles. The oldfashioned way. It was a bit cold, since we were outdoors, but social and fun. There were live music and punch, so I kinda forgot my fingers were freezing. And there were Finnish candles as well to warm up at.


You start with dipping a wick into 75°C wax for about 5 seconds, then wait until it cools down a bit, then dip it again in an in-and-out-motion, then cool it off, and keep on going until you have a decent size candle. For a bigger one it takes half an hour.

It was done at the old peoples home, and one lady was really hilarious. And somewhat dement I should think. She kept on forgetting to take the candle out of the wax, but finally learned to count to 20 before she put it in again. But the funny thing was she kept on counting quicker and quicker, and so her candle ended up looking like a baby carrot (yes, orange).

And I came home with three smaller candles, that I plan to put into my winestand...and somehow they all ended up purply :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay, looks like fun. what a great Christmas time activity.

B

Witchbitch said...

And a good way to learn to be patient :).