Saturday, October 18, 2008

Healthcare

Finally gotten around to call the doctor to check on my blood pressure. Love the healthcare system in Switzerland. Called Thursday afternoon and asked for an appointment. "Nine o'clock tomorrow morning?" the nurse asked. That's what I call service. Unfortunately I couldn't clear my calendar that quickly so now it's next week. In countries where the healthcare is supposed to be covered by high taxes, you can wait and wait and wait for an appointment. If you're so unlucky you need an operation you have to wait for years, unless it's life-threatening. Privatization, hurray!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've lived in three countries with state-run healthcare and never had any trouble getting doctors appointments. Of course the quality of the service left a bit to be desired in some places (its a close call for whether the UK or Germany has crappier doctors)

Witchbitch said...

What about surgery? I could mention a few countries where you can wait forever for non-life-threatening operations.