Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Migros and Coop

Today I ventured out to check the new location for a Migros in my hoods. Migros and Coop are the two big supermarket chains here in Switzerland. Turns out it's located just opposite of Coop. How stupid is that?

Instead of having a Migros one place, and a Coop another place, they want to compete by having their respective shops just across the street.

And another indicator they are not talking to each other...Coop is closing for renovation between 18th of August and end of September. The Migros opening is on the 30th of August. Which leaves people in the area without Migros AND Coop for two weeks.

I think Migros should've opened even closer to my place! And they've taken the facilities over from Dosenbach, where I buy my shoes. But as my friend so rightly pointed out yesterday "your buying one pair of 29 francs shoes every year probably didn't keep them in business".

And I have my Denner even closer, the best drink shop in Switzerland!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The total dominance of Migros and Coop of the Swiss market I find kinda scary and depressing. But have to admit I have often found it useful having a Migros and a Coop clsoe to each other becuase there is some stuff you can't get in one but can in the other

Witchbitch said...

This is true, but I don't necessarily need to get those things at the same time.