Sunday, April 05, 2015

Swiss XVI

One of the rights being a Swissie is that you have "Initiativrecht", i.e. the right to take an initiative. Which sounds a bit funny, but it means that if you have an idea, and get enough people to sign up for it, you can take it to a higher level and eventually, if you're lucky, it becomes a law. There is a bit more to it than that, but simplified, that is it.

There are few initiatives that are taken on, but recently ze Swissies made it more difficult for foreigners to become Swissies (just my luck!) and the initiative against minarets was accepted. Personally I think that all church bells should be forbidden, but I have a feeling I would be quickly voted down. There are also initiatives on a more local level, like if a new tramline should be allowed in Zürich. Direct democracy it's called.

However, my nerdy neighbour thinks Switzerland is a "half-direct" democracy, but it's not in my broschure, so I don't think it's gonna be in my favour to discuss it in the interview.

And recently I got a crash course in direct democracy. I sent out an email to all my neighbours, suggesting a "go green"-initiative. Meaning they could collect all their metal, bottles, and other disposable trash in containers that we would put in the basement, and I would, for free, bring it to the correct disposal containers. My thought was I have time, and they have less.

I was immediately voted down, with the reason that "it's everybody's responsibility" and "there is no need for another disposal station in the house", as well as a simple "no, I'm not interested". One party thought it was a great idea.

Now, I happen to know who gives a damn about green environment in this house and who does not. Most people take responsibility and recycle, but some do not care. And I only wanted to help.

But that's direct democracy for you. And for my next "initiative" I have learned that I have to state my reasons for it, and do a bit of marketing. And that's so not me. I think that what is obvious to me, it should be for everybody.

Common sense I think it's called.

No comments: