Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Duzigfüssler

Whether I like it or not I am learning Swiss German words. Like on Sunday when the ex was here cleaning the balcony, preparing it for winter. He moved some of the plants indoors, like the chili plants still with chilis on it. When I was lifting them up, cleaning the plates underneath I "iiiii-hhhh'd". Creepy-crawly! This is when I like to have a man around the house. He merely said "ah, süss, ein duzigfüssler" and promptly picked it up and squashed it.

Now tell me, what in the world is sweet about this?
PS1. Interestingly enough this insect is called cendipede in English and "a thousand-feet'er" (a thousand foot'er?) in any other language I know. Centi in Italian means a hundred, not a thousand. Where the heck did the name come from in English?
PS2. Wonder if my foot-fetischist would have an orgasm over this insect?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'duzigfuessler'
In English we have centipedes and millipedes, as you can guess the millipedes are the ones with more legs.

Witchbitch said...

It's good to know that my blog readers are more intelligent than the dictionary!