Wednesday, April 06, 2011

REGA

REGA is a Swiss organization, that helps people in need. If you had an emergency in the mountains, or if you got hurt in another country, REGA takes care of you. They assist with medical personnel, and they bring you to a hospital or back to Switzerland. They live purely off donations, and for a measly 35 francs you can become a patron. I did the other day, even if it is very unlikely that I will ever have an accident in the mountains, prefer them from afar, or be sick in a foreign country since I don't like to travel.

Today I visited them, and I must say, got an overwhelming welcome. Two people took care of me and gave me a tour for a whopping 2 hours and 40 minutes. We saw everything from the hangar to the planes and choppers, got a good overview of the Zürich airport from their terrace, a movie showing the type of work that they do, and the call center where all activities are coordinated from.


These people do good work, and shall be supported by me.
EDIT: Got an email from the REGA people saying it is only 30 francs, not 35. You gotta love the accuracy of ze Swiss!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great thing to support!

Cool helicopters!

Good for you!

Witchbitch said...

Unfortunately no men in uniform, but you can't get everything.