Wednesday, October 16, 2013

System restore

Sometimes I just hate technology. A while ago I couldn't open any of my files, like Excel or Word, but didn't think much about it, since I seldom need to. Today I got a file sent to me, and all of a sudden it presented a problem.

Talked to my guru who this time couldn't help me. Did system restore. Twice. Didn't help.

The issue is that when I try to open a file the friggin computer gives me three choices like buy new licenses, activate your current ones and something I cannot remember. I mean, who keeps a "key" to activate, probably consisting of some 30 letters and numbers for years? I don't.

And last time I tried to contact Dell I ended up talking to both England and South Africa. I know, it's Microsoft who administers the Office programs, but I don't expect them to be any better on customer service. But I'm also too cheap to buy licenses that I already paid for.

Catch 22?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catch 22 means something else.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place maybe?

B

Witchbitch said...

Definition Catch 22: "a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule".

I think it fits but so does your suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Nope. It would be Catch-22 if, for example, the only way to be able to get Office programs working was to get the activation code which was stored within an Office program document, which you cant open because Office isnt working.

But in your case the solutions to the problem you wrote about don't have anything to do with a circumstance of the problem, you just dont want to do either of them.

oh dear, must be smart-arse Thursday - sorry ;)

B

Witchbitch said...

Do you happen to have a lot of time on your hands :) ?

Anonymous said...

When you buy a new computer, and if you specified what Microsoft products you want and paid for the full license, those products should get installed on your Pc. I suspect you didn't. Every Pc, by factory default, comes with what is called a trial license valid for X number of months, after which you either pourchase the license for, or you remove the program. If you think you bought a full license, look for those 30 digits piece of paper, You only need to enter it once!