Sunday, May 31, 2015

People who love oldies

Had some colleagues over tonight, and we have in common that we all work as volunteers in the old peoples home. And we all love it. There were lots of talks about what the oldies tell us, and how they react, and what they order. I know, the people who come to visit us in the cafeteria are the ones that are fairly clear in their head and fairly mobile, and there are lots we never see who aren't, but still. It's amazing that a 100-year-old woman, walking without help, being crystal clear in her head, remembering my name, sitting with a 90-year-old woman singing together. It's heartwarming.

However, there were also discussions about Romanians and Syrian refugees, which weren't quite as agreeable. Sometimes I thought I was being the hostess to a rasist, but somehow he pulled it together and managed to agree with me in the end. But it was funny that he was stating "maybe I can't express myself properly in English". I offered to hear him out in German, but then somehow the subject changed.

But since the "rasist" is soon leaving the country I think maybe Switzerland can allow a foreigner to enter. So all is well that ends well.

And there was a doggy visiting tonight for the first time. He doesn't much like cats I heard, but when my shy ones first appeared he was sleeping. It was only when they were leaving he woke up and realized, "hey, there are kitties in the house" and started barking. Hmm, not allowed in my house. But my cats have to learn, and accept, and with the dog being as cute as he is, I think this time it was ok.

No comments: