Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Saving school VII - don't waste the waste

This saving tip may only be applicable to Switzerland, which btw have the best system to finance waste I have come across. Here you pay for the trash bags. Which means you only pay as much for the waste that you produce. Phenomenal if you ask me.

That means that all glass, aluminium and metal I bring to the glass banks. For me not a problem, since they are almost everywhere and I pass one on the way to the food shops. Greens, like reduntant plants, waste from the kitchen and everything that is "alive" goes to my friend. He has a green container. A green container you can buy, but for me with so little green waste it wouldn't make sense. It would take me a year to fill such a container up.

Paper is picked up every two weeks, all you gotta do is to pile it up, put a string around it and place it on the street the day before pick-up.

Carton the same but every four weeks. You put cartons outside the house, next morning it's removed by the efficient green cars operated by Zürich city.

I have enjoyed myself measuring how much I save, both in money and for the environment, and I'm proud to say that I now am down to the smallest trash bag (17 liters) every two weeks.

If, by rumour, Zürich plans to recycle plastic containers, wrappings and the likes, I shall downsize even more.

Am afraid to admit, but I think I'm becoming a bit of a fanatic when it comes to green living. However, I still refuse to buy "bio". But I have to say, that when an iceberg salad I bought a month ago, still was kinda fresh, I wonder. Not sure I'd take it as far as growing thingies myself, which btw would be difficult having only a balcony, but maybe just stop eating lettuce?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can already recycle plastic containers (non-PET) at the Migros.

Don't worry you are a long way from a being green living fanatic.
B

Witchbitch said...

Haha, good to know there is an improvement margin.

Not sure about "my" Migros, but will check next time re plastic trash.