Thursday, October 16, 2014

In a better place?

I had lunch with the Zürich "Krebsliga" (cancer fund) today. I have developed a good relationship with them, and try to support them best I can. Next year I will walk with them, something I learned today, every year two breast cancer women arrange a walk, supported by the "Krebsliga", all dressed in pink. As it so happens I have a sporty outfit in pink.

We also had a serious talk, as always when we meet. We share a common history, having lost both our parents too early, and I told him about an acquaintance/friend of mine who has cancer for the second time and it has spread. Last time I talked to her two weeks ago she was at home unable to get out of bed, but didn't want me to visit.

Which was fine, I understand when you want to be alone. I know that she had cancer that has spread, and that she didn't want treatment anymore. She said to me last time we met "Annika, you don't know how it is, I've been sick for ten years, and I don't want any more treatment". And she was right, I don't know.

Today, when telling the story to my friend in the "Krebsliga" he informed me that they provide free adjustable beds to terminally ill people, and I got a leaflet. I thought, maybe this is something a dying person can use?

So when visited tonight by a friend, who also knows this person, we called her and left a message. When we didn't get an answer, we decided to write a card to say we were thinking about her and the likes. At the same time I googled her name and address and got directed to a site for Stadt Zürich. Ok, I thought, she probably worked there before.

Turned out to be an official site for funerals. She is dead. I spoke to her two weeks ago. It feels wrong. She was a good person. Trustworthy, kind and a cat-lover. She had four. I wonder what will happen to them now.

So tomorrow we are going to the funeral. It feels like the least I can do, even if we were not close friends, she was a person I respected. And she was only 55 years old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, I am sorry to hear that.
I guess at least it was fairly quick so she didn't have to suffer too long and won't be in pain anymore.
I am sure she had a plan for the care of her cats.

B