Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Electricity in Zürich

Quite a few years ago I learned from my neighbour that after 10 pm the electricity is cheaper. She told me she was always running a washing machine or dishwasher after this time in order to save money. I quickly picked up, since I also believe that if electricity is provided outside office hours it is better for the environment. I may be wrong, but that's what I think.

When you rent an apartment you seldom have a choice, since common washing rooms close at 10 pm and not every rental has a dishwasher.

Anyway, I wasn't sure that it was valid on holidays. I mean, I think it should, since like Christmas day is a day off for everybody but all their website said was "22-6", i.e. 10 pm to 6 am every day Monday-Saturday and all of Sunday, so I sent a question to them.

And they answered that the City of Zürich has in all their wisdom (ok, not exactly, but "dieser hat sich auf diese Logik festgelegt", which basically means the same) decided that it is so.

This of course triggered me to send an email to the City of Zürich to ask why. Now I am impatiently awaiting the answer.

No comments: