Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Energy saving IX

On this test, which I took quite seriously, I mean WWF is a known organization and Ikea is rather big, so I take it they have spent some time putting this together, I gave myself 104 points out of 120, i.e. 87%.

I believe this is a good result, and that few can compete with. However, I'm open to be challenged.

It seems like I can increase this percentage by eating more bio and more vegetarian stuff, but since I don't fully believe the "bio" label, I think that buying food and produce from local (or as local as possible) suppliers is more beneficial than if a "bio" product is imported from another country.

I am since about a year a satisfied customer of a Swiss egg company, that delivers fresh eggs every two weeks directly into my mailbox. Happy, freegoing chicken. Ok, I haven't exactly visited the farms, but hope that the Swiss label will be proof enough.

Further on, I have no car, which I understand is a big polluter, and wasn't even included in this "test". Probably because you almost always need a car to get to an Ikea store.

I have no bathtub, which also is a big energy waster. But mostly I am proud that I have reduced the indoor heating from about 22-23°C to 19-20°C this last year. As indoor heating stands for more than 70% of your average energy use, this is huge.

It's not to say I cannot do more, but I will struggle to improve. I do like my meat. But all in all, I'm pretty chuffed with my result.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, good for you. Although I have to admit I thought you were a pretty easy marker on yourself (lots of I don't think that applies so I will give myself top marks, he he) ;).

so, now I have to go and score myself. I am sure you are fascinated so will comment on the relevant posts ;).

Interesting how Ikea somehow failed to offer any scoring on the energy costs of purchasing sustainable long lasting furniture and homewares vs their disposable kind

B is back

Anonymous said...

OK, I give myself 106.5

(a few points more if I took a generous scoring approach).

key things I will try to improve on:
- Try washing with 30 degrees again
- Cut shower time
- plug TV and Modem into power board so I can shut it off standby at night
- wash vegies etc in sink without running water
- work on gardening skills
- get some water catching device in the summer.

Thanks!

Witchbitch said...

So you're really saying you're better than me! Ha, let's discuss :).