Thursday, January 15, 2015

Energy saving III

The next page is about trash.

Only buy what you need.
Easy-peasy, I get 5 points out of 5. Last year I even started to sell things I no longer need.

Use shopping bags more than once.
Again, I'm in the lead. Have done this for many, many years already. I buy a bag for 2 francs, and use it for more than a year easily. Until it falls apart. 1 point equals top score.

Only throw food away if it's clearly inedible, do not trust best-before-date.
Once again I'm a winner. I smell the food, and if it smells ok, I eat it. The only time I throw away food is sometimes when milk gets old, 'cause I don't drink milk, only use it for cooking, and yes, once in a while I do bin leftovers but not very often. 4 points out of 4.

Recycle your trash.
Here I excel. Unlike some people I could mention in my neighbourhood I recycle metal (including aluminim foil) and glass, by bringing it to the nearest glass bank. I put carton on the street once a month, and paper twice a month. In fact, I have very little trash, which is good 'cause it saves me money. Here you pay for the trash-bags, and I use at most a 17-liter bag every week, mostly it lasts longer.

So 13 points out of 13 in this round.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

buy what you need: 5
re-use shopping bags: 1
food chucking: 4
Recycle: 3? full marks

total: 13

B

Witchbitch said...

Forgot to mention that I also put food trash separately, and a friend with a green container recycles it for me.