Sunday, March 01, 2015

No marito

A funny thing happened today when this new friend and I were shopping in an Italian supermarket. It was one of those where everybody speaks Italian, there is a counter for fresh food, a bar (of course) where Italian people gather and a woman who keeps it all together.

My friend was busy shopping for dinner and I was loking for a gift for my neighbours (tell you later), and ended up choosing a bottle of exclusive olive oil. So there I was standing at the counter waiting to pay, while an old woman with a walking chair was giving her orders to the shop assistant who was running around getting the stuff for her. Then the old woman pointed at me saying to the assistant "she can pay before me, she only got a bottle of olive oil", the shop assistant responded also in Italian saying "bla-bla-bla-italiano-whats-it-marito".

Unfortunately I understand enough Italian, so I revolted, and quickly told her: "no, no, we're not married, we just came here to shop together". Good thing I have picked up a few foreign languages in my time.

So I got to pay my olive oil and left with my dignity intact ;).

No comments: